Youth Soccer International's mission is to enrich childrens’ lives by providing them the highest quality soccer training in a fun environment where they can grow physically, socially, and emotionally, and develop the skills and confidence needed to succeed on and off the field.
The core belief that informs our instructional approach is that soccer is a vehicle by which so many important life lessons can be learned such as teamwork, good sportsmanship, healthy competition, and mutual respect. Through positive reinforcement and positive coaching, we work hard to impart these values on our players.
- to make learning soccer fun so that our kids will stay in the game long after they graduate from YSI
- to spark in our kids a lifelong love of the game and sports in general
- to mentor kids to apply lessons learned through the game to life off the field
- to create a sense of family for our kids where they feel safe, supported, and cared for, and
- to impart in our players an international and open-minded mindset where differences are celebrated
Our overarching objectives are:
YSI is known for its:
- Tight-knit Community,
- Focus on the development of all players as opposed to a select few,
- Curriculums that are fun and engaging, and
- International values
- At YSI, we are known for our tight-knit community of families and players. Families who join YSI quickly discover that when they join YSI, they join a family. The YSI Family. With the great majority of our players from the Lincoln Park and Lake View neighborhoods, our programs bring together both friends and neighbors.
2. Focus on the Development of All Players As Opposed to a Select Group of Players
YSI is also known in the community for our focus on developing all of our players as opposed to a select group of players.
We measure our success by the number of kids we develop and not by the number of games we win. Rather than focus on a select few players, we put the same heart and care into coaching each and every one of our players.
3. A curriculum that is fun and engaging
Another reason why parents bring their kids to YSI is because our soccer curriculum is fun and engaging.
- At YSI, we strive to make our curriculums fun and engaging because fun is what we believe our 5 to 13 year old kids should be having at their age. High pressure coaching and an emphasis on winning over the well-being of players are proven to be ineffective - and lead to kids feeling demoralized at an early age and early burnout.
- In fact, 70 percent of young athletes drop out of team sports by age 13, citing lack of fun as their main reason for quitting.
By incorporating fun into how we teach, we strive to spark in our kids a lifelong love of sports so that they will stay in the game long after they graduate from YSI.
4. International Values
A lot of our families are drawn to us because the word "International" is in our name. One of the reasons "International" is in our name is because we wanted our name to reflect the cultural and ethnic diversity of our founders and coaches (with over 6 languages spoken among us).
- Another reason we have "International" in our name is to highlight how international the beautiful game of soccer is, and the wonderful ability soccer has to bring together people from all walks of life and all over the world.
- One of our goals as an organization is to impart in our players an international and open-minded mindset and to teach our players to embrace and learn from our differences through the beautiful game of soccer.
- Despite cultural and language differences, soccer has the ability to bring communities together by connecting people with the sport that brings them joy. It breaks down barriers that divide us from one another and inspires peace -- even in the unlikeliest of places.